Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tony Leon reports from Buenos Aires



The DA recently won our ward. Tony Leon views local DA man Darren Bergman as one of his protégés. This is the latest in a series of interviews with leading figures. Do look out for further interviews of this nature.

Q: You are now hobnobbing (so to speak) with some of the world's great leaders. What is this like, relative to debating in parliament?
A: Actually, I met many of the "good and the great" (and several of the not so good or great) world leadership during my political and parliamentary career-ranging from late French President Francois Mitterrand to US President Bill Clinton. I think the two greatest leaders I met (aside from Nelson Mandela, whom I got to know very well during his presidency) were the Dalai Lama, whom I trekked off to Dharamsala in the foothills of the Himalayas to meet, and the late Pope, John Paul II. My ambassadorship has been, for obvious reasons of location, more focused on South America, where I have spent some time with the three presidents of the countries to which I am accredited: Pres Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner of Argentina, Fernando Lugo of Paraguay and El Pepe Mujica of Uruguay. So, it's pretty much a Spanish-speaking version of what I had previously encountered. Diplomatic life is very different from parliament - more nuanced, more behind the scenes, less confrontational.

Q: Your record is one as a combative MP. Would you agree with this statement?A: I like to think of myself as a "conviction politician", but confrontation on some key issues when I was at the helm was absolutely necessary. When I stood up to Thabo Mbeki on questions such as AIDS and Zimbabwe, not to mention failures of delivery, it was absolutely necessary to sharpen the discourse. At that time, the media was mostly supine and civil society was often invisible. I am pleased that both have recovered their mojo.

Q: You are now a paid employee of the government you fought for so long. How have you reconciled this in your own conscience?A: When President Zuma offered me an ambassadorship, he said to me: "It is absolutely essential that South Africa is represented overseas by people other than ANC members." I agree with that sentiment, and it is in that spirit that I accepted this appointment and have conducted myself abroad. I am the emissary of a country, not a party. Accordingly, our embassy has been highly successful here in promoting the interests of all South Africans and our trade and tourism and sporting interests - all of which are important here, and all of which have improved considerably on my watch. I have neither changed my political allegiance or beliefs, but I strongly believe that leaders of all stripes, be they DA or ANC, can in good conscience advance the prospects and prosperity of South Africa abroad.

Q: Please describe daily life in Buenos Aires.A: Buenos Aires is a vast city of 12 million-plus people: home to a quarter of the total population of this big (eighth largest in the world in terms of land mass) country. So, from traffic jams to political demonstrations, daily life can be a challenge. It is also Spanish-speaking, so English will only get you so far! But I spend a fair amount of time in the embassy, directing our staff of 27 people, attending to various trade and diplomatic matters, and quite a bit of time, out and about, meeting government officials, giving speeches and taking the pulse of the body politic here. On weekends, we (my wife Michal and I) spend time with our dogs (we live in a vast apartment opposite a huge park, where they enjoy being walked) or trying out new eating experiences with friends.

Q: How do you feel the DA has developed under Helen Zille?A: That's a good question. I hope to provide a definitive and exciting answer when my term expires here! Judging from the recent election results, I would say the DA is doing very well under Helen Zille and has extended its reach. I am pleased the party is building on the foundation which I and others laid in the very challenging years between 1994 and 2007. It's not just good for the DA, it is also good for the democratic prospects of South Africa. – Frank Heydenrych, Linbro Park

No comments:

Post a Comment